Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Lesson learnt

Below is a short story extracted from one of the Facebook posts I went through last night and I could relate to it :

A little bird was flying south for the winter. It was so cold the bird froze and fell to the ground into a large field. While he was lying there, a cow came by and dropped some dung on him. As the frozen bird lay there in the pile of cow dung, he began to realize how warm he was. The dung was actually thawing him out! He lay there all warm and happy, and soon began to sing for joy. A passing cat heard the bird singing and came to investigate. Following the sound, the cat discovered the bird under the pile of cow dung, and promptly dug him out and ate him.

Moral of the story:
1. Not everyone who shits on you is your enemy
2. Not everyone who gets you out of shit is your friend
3. And when you’re in deep shit, it’s best to keep your mouth shut !


To be honest, I've never fancied anything that has to do with 'efficiency' here in where I live because I've never been treated with total efficiency anyway. Processes are always slow, things ALWAYS get delayed and worst of all, people who work without passion and actually SHOW it to their customers. 

Lately, I've been running all the places just to get my application forms done. Went back to school and college to get my certificates translated and certified; noticing some terrible efficiency they have. I'll roughly outline what happened but I shall not disclosed where and who. 

So I went back to college on Tuesday to get my application forms signed (it required a person of higher authority to 'recommend' you) and certify the translations of the certificates ('cause it's for overseas). I reached college at 10am where I immediately looked for the secretary and she wasn't free. Alright then, I waited for 45 mins while she got her stuff done. That's just to explain to her about the application forms. She then told me the head of school wouldn't be free until 2pm (rough estimation), which in actual case, 4.40pm. Meanwhile, I tried to get my translated certificates certified and the admission staff weren't helpful at all. One of the staff stamped her boss' stamp and signed by the side, saying she had to show the boss blablablablaaaaa and when I came back again, the boss stepped out for lunch and apparently, the boss wanted to hear my explanation. Where was I? Jail? The boss' lunch time was at least 2 hours so I had to wait until 2pm. Alright, that isn't too bad since I'm coming back later anyway. 

Fast forward to 5pm when I came back to college with my boyfriend (whom I troubled a lot during the whole delayed process), head of school already signed the documents. BUT, the BOSS did not. He gave me a lot of excuses to not certify the certificates when his staff already stamped the paper! Funniest thing is that, the boss never showed his face. I wonder

  •  Why did the staff stamp in the first place knowing she has to show the boss? 
  • Why can't they have more stamps of different people's names on it? What if the boss is on MC? Nothing gets certified then? He is no Prime Minister, I'm sorry to say but business should not revolve around only one person.
  • Why wasn't he brave enough to hear my explanation face-to-face? Why did he have to send two staff just to pass my explanation to him? 

Today, I went back to my high school and what surprised me was, everything happened very fast. I only had to ask the teacher to certify it without waiting. She even trusted me with her stamp so I stamped where I needed her signature and she immediately signed for me. Trust really brings people closer. I felt a little like home there. To be frank, I hated school for the endless politics and melodrama. I'm not afraid to say. Who would not get sick and tired of such irrelevant drama in school almost every single day? That was pretty childish and I did not enjoy that part of high school life. Admittedly, I would get a little depressed and my tutors used to talk me out of it. What I've learnt is that; you'd be SO MUCH happier when you stop giving two hoots about people who do not matter in your life. Do not bother if they hate you or whatnot, if they'd talk bad behind your back, it only means you're a few steps ahead of them. Insecurity makes them what they are. I'm pretty happy at the fact that I'm not too reluctant to get my stuff done at the high school if I need to in the future. 

I've always thought college was perfect, but I came across that nothing is perfect. Absolutely nothing (I burst my own bubble too). And the place where you have bad thoughts about it, give it a second chance. :) 

Lastly, I reckon we have to work REALLY hard to improve our efficiency if we want a bright future for our country. We're indeed a few steps behind in this case. 

No comments: