Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Make-A-Wish experience

Since I'm awake at such ungodly hour and can't seem to fall back asleep, I shall update this semi-abandoned blog.

Sometime last year when Do-good volunteers website by The Star was launched, I used to search up what is there to help various non-profit organisations but it was more of a freelance thing. They recruit many volunteers and if you turn up on the event day, kudos to you; otherwise, well... Nothing really. There isn't much of appreciation. Over time, many other companies start to post on the website just because they know well enough that volunteers don't have to be paid. I began to Google other non-profit organisations and see if I could find any volunteering information on their website. Make-A-Wish was the first I found and I was interested to help out.

Background information : Make-A-Wish is a non-profit organisation which solely depends on the donations/fund given by the society. They've been trying to apply for tax exemption but got rejected by the government (you know what to do here) so there isn't a company that donates a steady amount every month or so. It's an organisation that grant wishes of any kid who had life-threatening disease, despite their race. In Make-A-Wish, no wish is impossible (unless it's to own firearms or license underage).

Last Saturday I was informed to attend a wish granting training which briefly taught us the phases in granting a wish, and today, I was able to help in the first step; interviewing a child.

It's a task that really needs you to think on your feet because many unforeseen circumstances might occur. Today, one out of three kids we were supposed to interview went back to her home at Kuala Selangor, which we are going to visit her on Wednesday.

We went to Mid Valley to pick up some gifts for them and then headed to Hospital Kuala Lumpur.

To be honest, times like this make me wonder if I really want to become a doctor. As you know, government hospitals aren't fantastic environment to work in. The atmosphere is as depressing as it can get.

Interviewing a child makes me realise how lucky I am; I have everything I need and most importantly, I am healthy. There was a kid whose biggest wish is to receive a tablet and another wishes to go Singapore. It was then I realised I easily got both.

I'm really looking forward to planning the wish! :)

Till then!

No comments: